On today, the 4th of July, my country’s Independence Day, I would like to thank the following people:
- James Allen Baughman, my father and son of
- James Carl Baughman, son of
- Needham Nathan Baughman, son of
- Martin Luther Baughman, son of
- Joel Baughman, son of
- John Baughman, son of
- (Ulrich) Baughman, son of
- Hans Ulrich Baughman, a young Prussian man who started farming the land of this country before it was a country.
Thank you for a country, where I can live a safe and peaceful life. A country where I won’t go hungry or live in fear. Thank you for the strength of character that you demanded of each subsequent generation and of me. Thank you for that stubborn hard-headed streak that seems to have been passed down from one generation to the next. Thank you for teaching the generation after you, the history of the generations before you. And a special thanks to Hans Ulrich Baughman for hoeing that damn field in Saxe Gothe, South Carolina. If you had not worked so hard in that field, I wouldn’t be able to say, “I am an American.” And I truly am proud to be an American.
Happy Independence Day!!!